Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Future Aspirations

When thinking about the blog questions for today, I sat and day dreamed alot about what, who, and where I want to be in my future- they were big dreams! However, it is incredibly important for me to achieve what I desire in life because I have seen what my mother has done and she loves her family, career, and is able to live the life she wants comfortably; a goal that I think alot of individuals strive for. But, I believe without a sense of desiring more from oneself or from life in general brings about a lull in an individuals aspirations and even daily schedule. Something I never want to face because I want to be secure and loving the decisions I make as a growing adult.


Where do I see myself in 10 years?
That is a good question. Even though I day dreamed about "what I want to be when I grow up," I came across alot of career paths including: working for the government/state/city as a criminal therapist, working as a family therapist, working as a lawyer, working in a rehab clinic, working at a non-profit organization, or even working in management at a large company... I still feel like my possibilities are endless and I do not want to put a cap on one career choice just yet. But as of right now, I would love to either work as a therapist (criminal or familial) or as a lawyer. Though, whatever career path I follow I will be living in Chicago or a surrounding suburb, depending on how many children I have (hopefully two :), but maybe just one at that point). Overall, it is important for me to have solid career and familial life so see at that point that I will have a great start - at 31.


How will GWSS help?
I think GWSS will be helping alot more than I initially thought. I am getting some great experience in different fields as well as gaining different knowledge about many many career paths and becoming far more creative and "real world" savvy. But I think the most help I am getting is our practicum experience. It is a great resume booster, good experience, and offers alot of different ideas as far as how I want to help people/society as I grow older, and ultimately it allows me to grow in to myself as a person in real life rather than in just a classroom setting....Exciting to think about!


What things do I need to learn/do to achieve my goals?
Oh god I need to do so much to achieve my goals in life!.. the list could probably go on forever, but here are just the ones that I know I have to learn/do in order to get what I want in life.
*First and foremost, graduate from Iowa
*Find a job which will include: applications, networking, training, etc..
*Apply for gradschool/get in gradschool/graduate
*Find my inner-self!
*Have a supprtative family (as far as a husband and kids)
*Volunteer to gain experience
*Study up on different careers to gain knowledge on new concepts/ideas
*Participate in seminars or tours of "helping" facilities to find out what I enjoy  the most as far as atmospheres
*Be apart of the community
*Always stay involved
*Re-evaluate as I grow older regarding what is best (career, family, and life)
*Stay focused!
All of these things (and I am sure I could think of more later) will help me as well as improve my life goals

3 comments:

  1. At such a wonderful age you have so many possible paths ahead of you. There is such a difference between a therapist and a lawyer, I love that you are playing around with such different and wonderful ideas. You obviously have a big heart and lots of great ideas. Keep doing what you are doing, I know you will be and do great great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about GWSS is that it's so interdisciplinary that I think it would be a helpful background for almost any career! Whether you take the path of lawyer or therapist, I'm sure that the things you've learned in GWSS will stick with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, you are young and have sooo many options! I think that as long as you continue to be open and welcoming, the perfect career will fall in your lap.

    It is interesting that GWSS is such an applicable line of study, and yet, every time I tell someone that I'm doing Women's Studies, it's a question of "what kinda job ya gonna get with THAT?" Or maybe those are just my batty aunts?

    Why are you so set on Chicago?? You seem so sure! I like the confidence.

    ReplyDelete