Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chapter 7 Analysis and Reflection

Ahhh, I completely forgot to blog about Chapter 7 ("From 'Giving Care' to "Taking Care': Negotiating Care Work at Welfare's End) and I am so very sorry for possibly delaying anyone's comments for their participation grade!

Anyways, when reading this chapter I had so many different thoughts running through my head: welfare is bad, welfare is good, because of stereotypes welfare gets a bad rap, people need to have jobs, welfare is getting out of control, there needs to be other programs implemented so welfare is not clung to by so many, and the list could go on. I just did not/probably still do not know what my true opinion was because there is so much information within what Hamingtion and Miller discuss (policy's, interviews, stereotypes, etc...) in addition to our class, and another class that I am currently taking (Work and Family Institutions). But to play devils advocate, below I have reflected on both positives and negatives of the reading, opinions, and other information that I have been educated on.

My first thoughts: I honestly thought that what the chapter was discussing was a bunch of crap (for the lack of a better word) and was being very unrealistic in some cases. Now, I know that sounds extremely harsh, but at times the book would state that women need to be able to have care-giving roles without stressing or struggling with providing for their family -however- as I have learned through my current classes and other readings that women are fighting for a spot in the workforce (fight for equal pay, benefits, career positions, etc...) But without a job or means to provide, how do single mothers or even coupled mothers expect to support their children; I hope not solely off government assistance. I mean I could be way wrong here in my opinion and there could be many more variables within each of these statements, but I just kept thinking while I was reading how confused I was about what women were fighting for? I guess at the end I ultimately feel like women want the best of both worlds and I understand that, who doesn't want that, but where is the compromise? No one can have everything! ---This sounds extremely bad/wrong/harsh/evil and I am just voicing my confusion, but in a perfect world what do these (as in welfare women, career women, homemakers, second shift mothers, etc...)women want?

So, after all of my  negative thoughts and opinions, I took a moment and reflected on the concerns that need to be addressed regarding mothers, welfare, and the workforce.

Second thoughts: I understand that there are many women and mothers whom want to work, have a career, and support their children, but it should not solely be about financials. Mothers should be able to support their children by care-giving as well. This is where welfare and other programs need to refine their policies in order to meet the needs of mothers today, not the mothers of the 1990's or even before. Things have changed and women want jobs, want to be involved, want to support their children, but without some extra help from childcare facilities, schools, neighborhoods, and their personal jobs it makes the struggle of providing even more of a struggle. Not to mention that communities of low-income or oppression have additional concerns regarding safety, current/good education, active child programs, as well as other things that are taken into consideration with analyzing any neighborhood or community. Overall, I would love to see communities straighten up, jobs promote mothers (giving equal pay, maternity paid leave, flex hours if the child is younger, etc..), have affordable childcare facilities, incorporate active learning and exercise for children, etc... All of these suggestions I believe would help the battle that mothers have between their jobs and their children.

Ugh so many things need to be improved! People need to want this, want to help, want to participate, want to have a voice, and see a change. Without this there won't ever be change that truly helps those in need.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mya,
    there are many other countries that value the work of caring much more than we do-also as to welfare what is and what is not welfare-what about Pell Grants? High levels of welfare spending by states decrease poverty and create a healthier population overall-especially with regard to children.
    Most people on welfare are children
    great to see you break out the pros and cons-nice job!

    ReplyDelete